Thursday, April 14, 2005

One more day

Today, I packed up my office. It's funny how 3 years have gone by so quickly and they can be relatively well mirrored by the contents of a simple cardboard box.

  • My dress shoes and shoe polish stuff... me the guy who'd rebelled against the attempts of management at my previous employer to formalize the dress style (while I still refuse to concede that field technicians should wear suits to crawl under people's desks...) See what working with a bunch of lawyers does to you?
  • My stainless steel travel mug, engraved my TOH email address and given to me by my good friend Sean 5? years ago... has it been that long?
  • The duck decoy, lovingly carved by Ken, which I bought at the United Way Charity auction in 2003
  • The Canadian flag stress reliever thing Nellie brought back for us from a Law Clerk's conference way back when...
  • 2 Sea Shells Donna brought back from her trip to the Dominican
  • Enrique's (he's the most amazing field tech ever!) business card from Nex... thanks for all your help bud, you're the best.
  • An Ogilvy Renault golf ball... eerily similar to those who went for sale on EBay a few months back and were purchased for over 100$ per sleeve of 3...
  • An Atlantic Voyages 2005 calendar, ironic that I'm moving to the other side of the planet and yet I have yet to visit either of Canada's beautiful coasts...
  • Some photocopied recipes from Donaria's "Northern Cookbook"... oddly enough she didn't make me a copy of the "Sweet pickled beaver" recipe (I kid you not...)
  • The ski hill maps I've had on my wall all winter... it certainly was my most amazing ski winter ever... must have gotten out 15-20 times in total... great fun...
  • Kadance's picture from when she was 6 months old... about 6 months ago, how time flies.
  • A picture of Rene and me at our office door taken during the Margarita Day last November...
  • My final performance evaluation, which I received last week and have yet to really go over...
  • The little Kazoo toy given to me by Heather following the Jeopardy incident at a staff meeting in 2002...
  • A piece of Origami made by AEON's recruiter and sent to me in my hiring package that I've had at my desk for months...
  • The "Ogilvy Renault: 125 years of History" book published in 2004 for the Firm's 125th, my name's in there!
  • The small glass my Poinsettia came in from the Christmas Ornaments contest this past December... I won for "Best Hand-Crafted Ornament" with a tacky ugly thing I made when I was like 3...
  • The picture of my brothers skating at the Corel Centre at the Firm's family event this winter...

Along with all this stuff, and the memories that come with it, are a few more items that deserve special mention.

From Rene this morning, I found at my desk a lovely card with some very thoughtful words:
Cover: "Never is life so exciting as at the beginning of a journey" - a philosopher
Inside: "It sucks that you're leaving" -me
In a lovely Canada bag: an igloo Christmas Ornament (for whatever I can find which even remotely resembles a Christmas tree in Japan, I can tell Japanese people it's a replica of my home), a "Ski Canada" fridge magnet (Which will be the first official decoration in my new apartment) and a small jar of Maple Syrup (which will be opened in 6-12 months from now, and served over pancakes for breakfast) ...totally blown away by that first thing this morning, only the first of a series of tugs at the ol' heart strings today...

At lunch, which I was supposed to be going to with Brigitte, I come around the corner at the Japanese Village to the people I've had lunch with practically every day for 3 years now. After a wonderful lunch (for which Brigitte was gracious enough to pay) they present me with a "Learn Japanese in 10 minutes a day" book with a custom made translation exercise in the front. I'll be trying to decipher what they wrote to me this evening... and the Japanese village staff took a great picture of all of us which will be staying in the front cover of the book with the exercise...

So it was an emotional day, but tomorrow should be worse... I'll miss these people dearly, there's no other way to put it.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home