Saturday, May 14, 2005

First Post from Japan

Hey everyone! Here I be, finally on the net for a bit. Here are some notes taken while I was offline.

O’Hare Intl. Airport – Chicago – May 12th, 2005 – 8:55 EST
The first leg of my journey is done. Flight from Ottawa to Chicago went well, wasn’t too crowded, smaller plane than I expected though… I’ve now found my departure gate for my flight to Narita, even though it isn’t for another 4 hours or so… I’ll poke around the airport a bit and try to find a wireless hotspot to connect to and kill some time. Also need: US Currency, coffee, Food… in that order…

Wolfgang Puck’s - O’Hare Intl. Airport – Chicago – May 12th, 2005 – 9:22 EST
Forget about the US currency, I’ll sit in this nice “terrace” (in that it’s outside the restaurant and I can people-watch for a while) at Wolfgang puck’s. I’ve already decided the choice was right since the Grandmother-like lady who just brought me my coffee called me “dear”. My search for a wi-fi connection continues… Also confirmed through AA’s customer service that the row I am in has a Power port… but in the seat next to me… hopefully not all 3 of us will have laptops….

Gate K16 - O’Hare Intl. Airport – Chicago – May 12th, 2005 – 10:11 EST
Alrighty then another airport complaint… I’m becoming quite the critic…. LOL… O’Hare has no “official” wireless internet connection. What’s up with that??? Ottawa has it, even Hamilton Airport has it for god’s sake… sheesh… I did find out from a certain un-named American Airlines staff member that you can usually hop in to the Admiral’s Club (American Airline’s First Class club I guess) connection… but you have to literally sit on the floor in front of it. I think I’ll give it a shot later on when I get bored.

39’000 feet above the Rockies – May 12th, 2005 – 20:13 EST
One last glimpse at Canadian soil before we leave the continent. The flight path actually takes us out over the Rockies and up to Alaska before angling down over the North Pacific off the coast of Russia for the last leg of the trip. Comfortable-ish seat, it’s already been a long flight and it’s only half over… sheesh.

AEON Seminar House – Omiya, Japan – May 14th - 9:10 Japan Time
Well that’s that, Welcome to Japan! Flight was very long, didn’t get to sleep much. Met at the airport by one of our trainers who helped us get our stuff sorted out and our bags shipped to our respective cities. Then it was a 1 hour and 45 minute train ride from Narita to Omiya where the AEON training house is. Train ride was absolutely amazing… Rice fields everywhere, very nice country, much greener than I thought it would be, especially for the Tokyo region. Got here by taxi from the train station, got settled into our rooms (I’m rooming with a guy from California and a guy from Chicago for the week) and got settled in a bit.

Expected to get right to bed when we got here but that didn’t happen. We decided to head down to the area around the train station (the hub in any Japanese town\neighborhood) to find an Internet Café and check in with home. Sent off an email which I now understand didn’t all come in OK… the PC was in Japanese, kept doing odd things with the keyboard… I think 2 lines of text got through. I’ll have to find a place to hook up my laptop to the net… After the Net, we walked around a bit, checked out an Arcade\Gaming house… As foreigners near Tokyo, we weren’t getting much attention walking through the streets but these two girls were giggling and stuff at some point so we went over and introduced ourselves which made them giggle even more. Ends up it was one of the girls’ birthdays so we took them out for drinks, showed us a neat Dart-playing club where they treated us like Kings. Even took pictures of us and had us sign a release so they could put us in their ads… lol Didn’t get back until 1AM or so, then went to bed.

This morning, up at 6, out of bed at 7. Training starts at 10 so I just went by a convenience store and finally figured out how to make an international call using a card I bought. Called home, said hello to my mother and Sebastien (and pinotte) but my father and Christian were already gone for their scout camp for the weekend.

AEON Seminar House – Omiya, Japan – May 14th, 2005 – 21:54
That’s it… I’m beat… totally bushed… it’s finally catching up to me. Long day of training, then out to the Station district, walked around with everyone for a few hours then we stopped in to a restaurant and had some appetizers and Sake… quite good. Now, I was thinking of popping in a movie but I think I won’t… too tired, gonna sleep…

AEON Seminar House – Omiya, Japan – May 15th – 9:29
Had a good night’s sleep, nice and rested this morning. Seeing as we’ve got the day off, I’ll make it my mission to find a location to connect to the Internet using my laptop and finally posting to sushiandmaplesyrup with some pictures and this offline journal I’ve been keeping. I think my best bet is probably McDonald’s or Starbucks, which apparently offer Internet Connections. It’s raining out, but I’ll make the trek to the Station district anyways. Took some really neat pictures last night which I must get out there!

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger jasper4081 said...

Hey Michael, my name is Devon and I'm leaving for Japan on June 5th for AEON. I'm just wondering what I should expect during the training week. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

11:21 PM  
Blogger Michel Lafleur said...

Hey Jasper,

Congrats! It'll be a blast. Don't worry too much about training, just go there with an open mind and let them teach you the AEON method of teaching. Once you get it down, it's really quite easy.

As I understand it, the training has changed quite a bit since I went through, just be professional, ask questions if you have them and have fun!

3:13 AM  
Blogger jasper4081 said...

Thanks Michel I appreciate it.

10:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home