Monday, June 27, 2005

Confound it and damnations...

My first thrust into the world of Internet Providers in Japan was parried without doing any damage. Yoshi met me this morning before work and we headed in to CATV with which Stacy has her Internet connection. Even though I couldn't understand many of the words being said, I knew when he pulled out the maps and started pointing at stuff that it wasn't good...

Kencho-dori, the street which starts at the Utsunomiya City office, a beautiful street with trees lining either side is the main artery which intersects Hanawada, on which I live. Trying to keep some level of aesthetics, the city government decided that no above ground telephone poles were to be errected, and the phone lines were burried. Unfortunately, this means no cable is running into my area and I thus cannot get cable Internet. I will need to pay for a land line, and ADSL... which hopefully will be setup soon!

Anywho, on to better things...

Yesterday, I watched Lost in Translation... and I'm quite glad I waited until being in Japan to first see it. I could relate to many of the situations and really liked the movie. Bill Murray is fantastic in it, and it has so many typical Japanese moments (Box Karaoke, the rape fantasy hooker (lip my stockings!!!) among other things that it kept a smile on my face the whole time.

Also, I got a response to my question about the flowers in my post yesterday, they are called Celosia and can also be found in Canada. Sheilagh mentionned that maybe it "took Japan for me to stop and smell (and look at) the flowers." I think that may be true, things are pretty mellow here and while I've never been one to stress out over things, I'm sure my pace has slowed down quite a bit since I came here.

So anywho, I'm off to work... take care.

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know if it will help, but I think I left an ADSL unit somewhere in the closet. I'd recommend trying the NTT near the Gyu Kaku. It's really close to the apartment and I had a super fast connection.

-Matt

11:58 AM  
Blogger Schutty said...

Hi Bud
Glad to see you are still going strong. One of these nights I'll be online when you are again. Until then, take care...........

Later.........

10:38 PM  
Blogger Michel Lafleur said...

Matto! yeah I saw you left a modem in the closet... but they sent a letter asking for it about a week after you left... guess it was a rental. I will be going with NTT, should be hooked up relatively soon.

10:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home