Friday, June 24, 2005

Slight cracks appearing in the Beijing trip....

After looking into it a little bit, acquiring a Visa to enter China may end up being a little too much of a hassle than I'm willing to deal with in the next few weeks... but there's still hope!

From what I've read, Canadian citizens need a Visa to enter the country for tourism... not the smartest thing a country can do to encourage tourism but hey, who am I to question the People's Republic. So I talked to Scotto who had been to China before and he was able to apply for a Visa by mail, send his passport by registered mail and get it back within a week. Not too bad right? Well I got some help to translate the Japanese Embassy in Tokyo's web site and there was some conflicting information. In the English section, it said they do not accept mail applications, and in the Japanese section they mention something about foreigners being able to apply via their travel agency???

The bottom line is this: If I have to make 2 trips in to Tokyo to go to the Embassy (1 to drop off the passport, then another 4-5 days later to pick it up) I'm affraid I will have to divert my holiday plans away from China... sad but there it is. Maybe I can find some golden asian paradise where the Canadian passport is taken at face value and that's that... who knows. But the plan now is to go in to the travel agency Monday with some Japanese support and work this out one way or the other. If it doesn't happen this time, it will happen some other time... I will visit China while I am in Japan.... it'd be stupid not to.

Anywho, I see my Cell phone posting last night made it on here ok. Much better formatting than I had expected considering I was typing an email on a 1" x 2" screen. I don't know how long it actually took me to type all of that, maybe 5-10 minutes? I'm sure my keying skills will improve with time but I doubt I'll be using the service much, unless I'm sitting on a train for a while or something.

So tonight is the Welcome Party, Part Deux. Some students are coming along and I've also invited Riyo from the library and her sister and friend. Should be a nice time, just some food and a few drinks since I have plans to go to Nikko tomorrow morning at 9:30, gotta keep a leash on the beer tonight... lol

Hopefully Monday I can also get going on this Internet thing... I think my best bet right now is Utsunomiya Cable, which provides Internet access and I wouldn't have to pay for a phone line. And furniture! I still have yet to pickup that table and chair, though it's not a big deal until I get the Net...

Anywho, off to work... ttyl

Labels: , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous S'Mee said...

Hey Mophonomoto Sensei!

Check around for a mini-keyboard or bluetooth keyboard (your phone has bluetooth from what I can find out about it). You know, one like for a PDA. Makes for easier typing.

Great to see how famously you're getting along.

Keep the shiny side up!

5:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

But lovers always come and lovers always go
An no one's really sure who's lettin' go today

8:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home