Saturday, July 23, 2005

Rockin' and Rollin'... the ground that is

Forgot to mention last night about the quake... didn't realize it was as serious as it was until I read up on it on Canoe...

In the middle of my Odyssey class, one of my students perked up, looked at me and said "Earthquake"... at which point I stopped pacing the room and noticed the creaking noises. Damned if it wasn't the biggest I've felt since I arrived in Japan. Lasted a good 10-20 seconds too... though I started teaching again. I could feel the ground moving under my feet when I was walking, it was pretty cool.

One of my later students says she felt it while she was driving so I figured it was a pretty big one and expressed concern about the people near it's epicenter...

In the end, it was a 6.0 magnitude quake which struck in Chiba prefecture (south-east of here) and caused some damage and injuries from falling stuff. No biggie I guess for Japan but it was exciting for me nonetheless....

I guess that tidbit of information was just lost in the jumble of a busy day.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Chizuru77 said...

Hi Michael,
This is my first visit to your blog.
I am the first one to duck under my office desk whenever I sense an earthquauke. School kids here in Japan are told to duck under their desk, but as kids grow older they just get used to the quakes and never hide. I guess I will be the only one to survive when the REALONE comes! It is amazing to know that you kept teaching after yesterday's quake!

1:30 AM  
Blogger Michel Lafleur said...

Well both my school and apartment are modern buildings so I'm pretty confident they can withstand a pretty good jolt. When the Niigata quake hit last year the building got rocking pretty good and you could see the felxibility in the construction doing it's thing.

And I don't actually have much in my class room to duck under... maybe a small table...

As for continuing teaching, I stopped at first and felt it for a bit, then started up again as the quake got stronger... I almost lost my balance on one of the rolls, probably because we're up on the 5th floor and were rocking pretty good...

9:48 PM  
Anonymous S'Mee said...

So, other than the small tremmors we have here in Ottawa, that is really like having a big semi truck drive by you, relate to me what a "real" one is like. Canoeing with Little Joe, or more like Bender trying to fish stand ing up?

1:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home