Thursday, August 18, 2005

Fall is in the air

As predicted by Sir Scotto, there has been a noticeable change in the weather since the end of the Obon Holiday. I've noticed nights and days are noticeably cooler since I've come back from Sendai, and I'm glad we only had maybe 1 or 2 weeks of oppressive heat. Today is going up to 32 so my theory might get shot down but that's ok... lol

So yes that Earthquake certainly was something the other day. I think I was mistaken when I said 30-60 seconds. I guess I was trying to compensate for the "It felt like 10 minutes but was really just 3 seconds" factor when feeling a quake. In fact it did last a full couple of minutes, and started to feel a little weird after a minute or so. It was odd because you couldn't tell whether it was done or not, it just kept rolling, at different intensities with some major horizontal movement. For my first time in Japan, I felt like maybe I should start to maybe begin thinking of heading for a doorway\table. I can't imagine what it was like in Sendai for Leah, a bare 50km from the epicentre. She says things fell off her shelves and such but other than that she's ok. I'm just hopping this series of noticeably large quakes (3-4 ranging from 5-7 on the Richter scale) that have hit in the last month or so are not a sign of some something... maybe the one in Sendai was the "big-one"... regardless, both the buildings I spent most of my time in are fairly modern so I'll be ok.

Jack Johnson! Who you ask? JACK JOHNSON I say... lol A student suggested I check him out, and I did. While I already knew one of his songs (Sitting, Waiting, Wishing) I didn't know his name. I've since listened to many of his songs and he's pretty damn cool!

Went out to Modern last night with Scott, it was really nice to be back. We tried their salad, and for 180Y we were expecting a single sized portiong but what they brought us was a huge plate of greens! It was great, I'd have enough of that myself for a meal! And for just 180 Yen! Amazing. As I've said before, the greatest thing about the place is the atmosphere, which is amplified because we are foreigners. They greet customers with a heartfelt shout from the kitchen, and take very good care of us. Unfortunately, it seems to be pretty busy these days and we've been turned back twice (to many apologies from the bar staff) due to lack of room. It's nice to know they're doing brisk business!

Nothing really major going on, I met a former student of ours the other night who speaks pretty amazing French, complete with the Toulouse accent. She just got back from a couple of months in France. It was nice talking with her in French, I haven't been getting much practice since coming to Japan and I can feel my thought process slowing down.

So everyone is recovering from Obon I think, getting back into the groove of things. It's nice to get back into the routine after a busy week of travelling. Satomi and Kanako had a great time in San Francisco, they brought back nice pictures... including one of a great bowl of clam chowder I could practically smell! Scott had a great time in Hokkaido, really enjoyed the greenery and isolation... he also says Sapporro is a pretty nice city. Stacy's camping trip into Fukushima was cancelled due to the rain... they still went out there and had a great time BBQing and stuff, just didn't want to get all their gear wet. The thing with Japan is we have no room to dry out something as large as a tent in our little apartments...

So that's about that for now, I've got to get prepped for work, eat something and head on in.

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jack Johnson? Isn't he from Hawaii? Cool. By the way, have you taken a picture of the Gyoza statue that is on the opposite side of the station? Heard that it looks pretty scary.

8:17 AM  
Blogger Michel Lafleur said...

Not sure where Jack Johnson's from, but I hear he was/is a surfer... so I guess Hawaii makes sense.

And no, I haven't yet seen the gioza statue at the station, much less taken a picture of it.

8:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fall or as some might say Autumn is still a ways off for you in Utsunomiya. It has been cooler since Obon but that is because of the taiphoon we had which was a strange one (cause it veered off to the East). It will stay wamr if not hot for some time with the occasional taiphoon popping up its rain bearing head. Look for mid september for things to start cooling. I dont know why you are missing home because fall in Japan is spectacular. Almost better than Spring. Get up into the mountains around Nikko in November and you wont miss home you will wont to live there forever.
scott (from Kuroiso) via Erics blog

1:33 AM  
Blogger Michel Lafleur said...

I know it's still a ways off but I have felt a definite cooling down is all I was saying, especially at nights.

Also, while Fall in Japan may be spectacular, especially in the mountains around here, and I will truly enjoy it, there isn't much in the world that compares to Canada as far as natural untouched beauty goes. There's a reason tourists from all over the world flock to our shores in the Fall. Even the Queen Mary II, the largest and most luxurious cruise ship in the world make the trip up the St-Lawrence River specifically to have a glimpse at the vibrant colours and vast forests.

10:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home