Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Another week nearing its end, another trip waiting in the wings

Thursday, my new favourite day of the work week. With the new schedule which was put into effect, which I love even though I'm teaching more and need to prep more lessons, my Thursday is pretty mellow. I start work at 1PM and then prep lessons or whatever for 2 hours. After that, I have a 3 hour break, today I'll get my hair cut, do my grocery shopping and clean up the place a bit for some compnay coming over tomorrow night. Then I have to be back for my first of three classes at 6PM. Not too bad eh? Of course, I think Thursday will probably be the only day I get to go home now, since I do have more work to do, the old schedule gave me two 2 hour breaks during the week and I'd usually head home for some lunch or something. But it's nice to get a 3 hour chunk of time off so I'll gladly trade those in for this one.

Oh yeah and I got my flat fixed on my bike! Thanks to my wonderful Japanese language abilities (and the fact that I was at a bike shop gesturing at an obvisouly flat bike tire) it was fixed while I headed to lunch for 1000 Yen. Now, I can ride this bike out to the Recycle Shop and see about getting myself a real bike with real tires, for cheap.

So our Emergency Teacher is a great guy, fitting in nicely with the boys at the school and the students all like him. He's been in Japan for 2.5 years, an ET for a year... he's got some pretty good war stories. There were rumours of a new teacher for us lined up earlier this week and we got so far as getting a card ready to send before it fell through... doh!

This weekend, Scott and I are planning a trip to the Tohoku region just West of Sendai. We'll be hitting Yamagata to check out Yamadera Temple, apparently one of the most beautiful temples in Japan. Depending on the weather, we may stay an extra day and check out some other stuff.... but speaking of weather, the forecast calls for T-Storms on Sunday so I'm wondering if I should reconsider the trip. That there Shinkansen is pretty pricey (7600 Yen one way) to get into the mountains and not be able to see anything because of fog and rain... but we'll see when Friday and Saturday roll around what's going on with the weather.

On another note, I was interested in THIS blurb about an organization performing door to door searches in Katrina ravaged areas to collect and "rescue" stray animals and abandoned pets in the wake of the evacuation. Now, while I can understand that most puppies and even some pot-bellied pigs may be cuter than many of us human folk (myself and Neve Campbell excluded of course), I can't believe there are ressources being expended on shit like this. There are hundreds of thousands of homeless people in the area, bodies floating in the water all over the place, and here they are picking up animals. Where was that boat and "trained rescuer" a few days ago when there were still people trapped all over the place, or why aren't they helping to recover bodies or something usefull... not that I don't love pets. My little Pinotte back home is near and dear to me and it would be quite traumatic to have to leave him behind in a ravaged city to fend for himself... BUT I feel this kind of animal activism is likely closely related to those who are willing to sacrifice human lives to further animal rights causes, frequently using firebombings, threats of violence and other means against those they accuse of violating "animal rights." In another thread on some of our society's misplaced values, there are reports of prisoners left behind to drown in their cells or of violent riots in prisons where many died during\after the storms and resulting storm, while nearby a zoo was evacuated and lost only 3 animals to the floods... Anywho, enough of a rant, I need to get ready for my "busy" day at work.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous chizuru77 said...

Hi Michel,
This is my second post. I saw a guy who refuses to evacuate from New Orleans because of his three giant dogs he had with him. No place welcomed his dogs so he had to spend the night in the streets. He even mentioned that he's been giving all the food to his pets. Surprised to see how people could really love their pets.
Chizuru

11:03 AM  
Blogger Michel Lafleur said...

And I get that... like I said I love my dog Pinotte but if it would come between forced evac, disease, death, robbery and murder... I may have to leave him behind... And I would certainly donate money to the red cross who is out there helping people before I would do so to the SPCA.

10:37 PM  
Anonymous Schmee said...

I think that at this time, the dogs in New Orleans are probably borderline ferral with hunger, trauma, and likely sickness. I can understand the drive to get them out, as they may soon pose a physical threat to the rescue workers, and returning citizins. Also, to be blunt, a carcas is a carcas. Adding more fecies and carcases to the soup by allowing them to remain and likely die promotes the viral and bacterial problems within the waters further. Plus the concerns of plugged pumps, etc.

I can't believe a rescue boat would cruise past a human (regardless of state) in the persuit of animals. If so, then there is a serious flaw in the efforts, and the mentality of the rescue units.

Oh, Pinotte was really upset with you, but we've talked and reached an understanding. Pinotte has agreed that you can either hook him up with saddle bags, dingy, or a small cart, and he'd pull his own weight. All he asks is you get a doggie lifejacket for him.

Deal? *WOOF*

1:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home