Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Dreams coming true...

Finally, after years of toiling in the darkness, my dream is about to come true. For years I have been hiding this desire, this need, this (fill in synonym for need here). On Thursday, I will finally get the chance to shine, to show the world what I am capable of. My dream of acting in a video commercial for the web site of a small French restaurant in Utsunomiya, Tochigi, Japan is about to be fulfilled! I know, it's a very specific dream...

I am kidding of course, it's never been a dream of mine though I must admit it will be pretty cool. The little French place I love so much has asked me, Scott, Alex and maybe Kanako? to star in a little video they are producing for their web site. The theme is something like "Happy People" and it should be fun just to be there and smile for the cameras while enjoying a fabulous lunch. I believe the guy who runs the place used to be an advertising exec in Tokyo and decided he would rather run a quiet French restaurant with his wife instead. With this in mind, this has the possibility of actually being a rather professional job. Either way, anything that can put me in the good books of such a fine set of chefs is definitely worth the time and effort, their Vietnamese Curry is to die for. (Why curry if it's a French restaurant? Need I remind you that Vietnam was a French colony until a certain series of events a couple decades ago? Vietnamese food has had an impact on French cuisine and vice-versa) So that's that with that set of news. (How many times can you use "that" in a sentence and it still be grammatically correct?

Oh yeah! And today marks the 4 month point since I came to Japan! Amazing that it's happened so fast. Am working on another video photo compilation thing... and I just noticed the counter has rolled over 4000 visitors since I first opened this blog on December 30th, 2004. You can check out a stats graph here. Pretty impressive, a constant increase since my arrival in Japan, with around 1000 hits a month now... with already 450 this month alone.

Next on the list is a complaint by some that I am not posting enough on this here old blog of mine. To those people, my apologies. But let me qualify my apology with a few side notes. First of all, I do not want this blog to become filled with the inane ramblings of a Eigo-sensei in Japan and type everything that comes to my mind. Second, I have a certain responsibility to keep the content here relatively clean due to my responsibility to my employer and the fact that many students and my family members frequently check this out. There are some things I am never going to post about.

On a significantly more serious note, I'd like everyone's thoughts to be with two families who have lost children these past few weeks.

The first is the family of Andy Lathrop, an american who was teaching here in Japan for a year and disapeared while on a trip to Hakodate in Hokkaido shortly before returning home. He's now been missing for one month, and it looks like he may have drowned while swimming or may have met with some sort of foul play. Japan being one of the safest countries in the World, it seems odd that something criminal may have happened but nothing should be discounted.

Secondly, and this one is a whole lot closer to home for me, is the disapearance of an 18 year old girl from Barhaven, a suburb of my hometown of Ottawa. After meeting some friends on her way home from a late shift at a Wendy's near her home, Jennifer Teague vanished off the face of the earth. My thoughts and what counts for prayers for a heathen like myself are with Jennifer and her family and I hope she will be found safe and sound. Unfortunately, as time drags on with no news, that seems less and less likely. There has been no activity on her cell phone or bank accounts since she went missing 6 days ago, and now a resident has come forward reporting sounds of what she thought was a domestic dispute in the area on the night of the disapearance. The saddest thing about this is that Ottawa is losing a little bit of it's innocence every year it seems. Last summer gave us the horrendous kidnapping, rape and murder of a young lady, Ardeth Wood on a major bikepath in broad daylight. No one was arrested in that case. Now the sinister possibilites of what may have happened to Jennifer have the city on edge again, with people holding their children that much closer. Sad.

Labels: , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! An actor! And to think I dated you for over a year! Dont forget the little people eh!!!

Sending you a package in the mail this week. No letter or anything inside, but you will know its from me. Just trying to make you miss Canada a little more :D

Miss you boy!

9:49 AM  
Anonymous Schmee said...

Sie sprechen Deutsches? Ich bin ├╝berrascht! Sehr gut mein Freund!

OK, on another note. That's surprising that you wished that someone could compose a sentence using that specific word "that" that your refered to, as many times that they could, and furthermore, that I find that I'm flattered that it was me that you felt that could accomplish that feat of "thats" that you hoped that would happen.

I'll have to work on that for you. ;-P

Great news on your ever widening career paths. Once up, you will have to like thier site in your blog so we ALL can see what the fuss in the tabloids will be about. You could be the next Orlando Lafleur, or Mitch Pitt!

People are complaining that you aren't posting enough?!!? Good lord man! Much more and your book is going to turn into a series of volumes; The Mophonopedia Japanica!

This is a publicly viewable site. Never post anything with teeth, because it's sure to turn and bite you sooner or later.

Have big fun, and remember: No matter where you go, that's exactly where you are. Isn't that great? Now you can never be lost!

Schmee

1:05 PM  
Blogger Michel Lafleur said...

Sir Lewis, you come through yet again! "That" is a heck of a bunch of "that"s in that sentence... .lol

8:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home