Thursday, November 17, 2005

A new friend...

My chief complaint over the last 6 months has been the difficulty with cooking since I only have one burner. Of course, it has been suggested that I just go out and buy some kind of seperate unit, but I'm just lazy and don't want to spend the cash... so instead, I've made a new friend. Pad Thai noodles... ok, everybody repeat after me... Pad Thai noodles... I didn't realize this the first time I cooked this dish, but Pad Thai is stupid fast to make! The main source of expedience is the fact that the noodles don't need to be boiled... in fact, here they are cooking right here, with my one burner is free to start the rest of the meal prep!


It's great! Just boil some water, (which takes about a minute with the ridiculously high setting my hot water tank is on), remove from heat and throw the noodles in for 5 minutes before straining them and setting them aside. It's great!

This entire meal took me about 10 minutes to make, keeping in mind that I'd cut up the veggies and meat this afternoon while on my marvelously wonderful 3 hour break.

At the 5 minute mark, the noodles are ready to go, the chicken is cooked and I've thrown an egg in there...


A minute later I throw in the veggies and start sizzling...


2 minutes later the noodles go in.


And voila, a lovely meal ready less than 20 minutes after I walk in the door from work... what more could one ask for? I also added bean sprouts (not pictured) which added a minute or two... and made me realize I may need a bigger pan... lol


So that was tonight's action, let it be inspiration for those of you who feel they can't cook out here. (Anna, I'm not sure if you're reading this but this is directly directed at you! and if you're not reading it, I hope your friend from Nishi-Nasuno gives you the heads up... lol)

So this week has been good so far, 3 days down 2 to go before the weekend... woohoo! Weather's getting a bit crisp and I've let loose with the old lamb skin coat... It now officially look like "The Sopranos do Japan" out here... lol Haven't lowered myself so far as to turning on the heat yet... place warms up nicely with the sun during the day and it stays plenty warm until I get to bed. The night does get pretty cold but I've got a huge duvet to hide under so I should be fine. My folks and brothers are heading out camping back home this weekend, god bless 'em... temperature is beloew freezing this time of year, have fun! I miss camping... but soon... soon my hammock and I will be reunited...
Last night we headed out for our regular Wednesday night beer with Scott's Frontiers class, checked out the German place we went to once before and I tried the "Onion Soup au Gratin" which was honestly quite disapointing... next time I'll stick to the pastrami sandwich...

Tomorrow evening the boys will be returning to Kegon at the Tobu Grande Hotel, I'll try and get some wider shots of the place to give you an idea of the atmosphere... and will try and get a more flattering picture of Scott than last week's... lol

Saturday night I get to see my girl again and we're heading in to Asakusa (Tokyo) on Sunday where I expect to purchase gifts to send back home for Christmas. It's a good life.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home