Friday, February 24, 2006

Ah Sunday Open, how I loathe thee....

Well I renewed my contract this week, and then promptly set the fuse which will set off my departure in February of 2007. I extended my contract for a further 6 months from the 3 months I'd already tacked on to my one year. In simpler words, I'll be here until the end of February 2007 and will have spent a total of 1 year and 9 months in Japan. The fuse I lit was telling the company not to ask me to renew my contract again, and letting it expire.

I have quite enjoyed my stay in Japan, AEON is probably the best of the large English school to work for out here. However, were I not involved with a certain young Japanese lady, I'm not sure I would have stayed more than my initial one year contract. I have a career waiting for me back home, and I'm eager to get on with the rest of my life. Unfortunately, opportunities in Japan are relatively limited for foreigners outside of the teaching field. Teaching is great, but not something I see myself doing for the rest of my life, so that means returning to Canada where I have multiple options to consider. Not that this is goodbye quite yet since I will be here for a whole year from now, which sometimes seems quite long.

One of those moments is right now actually. Getting ready for the busiest day of the week and knowing that I have to come in to work tomorrow for "Sunday Open" isn't helping me get too too motivated. I consider my Sunday to be sacred, especially since it's the one day off I share with my girlfriend, and am never pleased when I have to go in to work. Should be a good day nonetheless, one of our students is pregnant and moving to the US so she wants to learn vocabulary and phrases about pregnancy, should be an interesting lesson to give.

In Olympic news, the Canadian Men's hockey team suffered a disappointing loss this week against Russia in quarter-final play and was sent home early. These players, who are collectively making about $100 Million playing in the NHL were unable to score in 15 of their last 16 periods of play, losing 3 of their last 4 games by a score of 2-0. Things just didn't click with the team I guess. This is one of the problems with allowing professional players into the Olympics. They don't get to play together and form a bond. The team is thrown together at the last minute, shipped off and expected to become a working team overnight. Didn't happen this time around, but I think the motivation will definitely be there for 2010 in Vancouver. The US team also got the boot this week. Canada's medal count has improved to a record 20 medals with our curling teams winning a silver (women's) and a gold (men's) in the last few days. I don't think we're expecting any more but that is a nice number to have received. I was reading an article last night about how most of these medals have been won by women. 14 of the 20 have come from the ladies in fact... which is quite remarkable, including 4 medals from Cindy Klassen the speed skater. Canadian athletes also placed fourth in 10 events, giving us great medal hopes for their return in 2010. Japan won a gold in figure skating yesterday, as was expected.

Well I'd better get going, have to be in the office in an hour and a half to vacuum and get ready for today's lineup of lessons. One good thing about being so busy is that the day goes by VERY fast...

Oh yeah, and I'm nearing 10,000 hits on this blog, currently sitting at 9,995. If you are the one who turns the counter over (you can see it by scrolling down to the bottom of the page) take a screenshot and post a comment... I'll send you a Hello Kitty doll or something as a prize! lol


Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home