Sunday, February 05, 2006

I've said it before, I'll say it again... the Sudas ROCK!

Just got back from a wonderful dinner party at Isao and Tomoko Suda's home and as usual, it was fantastic. They are the ultimate hosts, and put out a spread tonight which ranked right up there with the "6 hour nabe party of gluttony" hosted by Aiichirou last December. The main driving force behind this get together was the viewing of pictures from Tomoko and Mieko's (who are my 2 Viewpoint students every Wednesday afternoon) trip to the Vancouver area last November. Having never visited Western Canada, it was as much of a treat for me as to the others who had come.

With a total of eleven people in attendance, and me being the only gaikokujin, the Japanese greatly overpowered the English... but that was ok... I consider it an exercise in listening skills and I did manage to pick up a fair bit of the conversation, somehow. I intend on starting my Japanese studies again tomorrow using a Japanese book\CD combination which I bought in Canada. When I first opened it before coming to Japan, and listened to the string of Japanese come out of my speakers, I was scared and immediately put the book away. Having stumbled upon it again this week, I cracked it opened and realized I could recognize a good chunk of the words, and with my listening skills I should be able to get back into it... wish me luck!

I've also decided that I am in need of a new DVD player. With any luck, I will end up in Akihabara some time in the next little while because I am simply going nuts here with the one I have. It skips, freezes and sometimes takes 3-4 attempts to even recognize DVDs, and I'm about to literally throw it out a window. I could purchase a DVD player here, but it would unfortunately be in Japanese... I'd rather make the trip to Tokyo and get an English one... or at least find one with an English remote control.... I dunno.

Next Saturday being a national holiday, and thus giving me a 3 day weekend, I will be heading to Yokohama and Kamakura on a bit of a sightseeing tour to the South-West of Tokyo. I am quite looking forward to spending a weekend with my girl... since Sunday is our only mutual day off, I only get her for a day a week, and it's simply not enough! To top it all off, I have to work a Sunday this month... even though it's just for 5 hours.... ugh.

Labels: , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Make sure you get an all-region player if you have any DVDs from Canada or the States (region 1). DVD's have regions, so if you buy a Japanese player it will only play region 4 DVDs. I can send you a website that sells them if you want, but it would be a similar one to the player you want to punt out the window (it worked ok for a year...kind of).

-Matt

4:56 PM  
Blogger Michel Lafleur said...

Yeah thanks for the info Matt. Scott got himself a nice region-free player for ichi man en or so in Akihabara, I hope to be as lucky...

8:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.fbcusa.com/public2/index.php3

I dont know if this is the dvd player that the other poster mentioned but I own it and so far so good. The remote isnt in English but in the manual is a translation.

If you go to Akihabara though I suggest a visit to the new Bic Camera if you havent already been.

9:06 PM  
Blogger Michel Lafleur said...

Nope, that`s a different one, looks good to me. Have you by chance tried playing any burned DVDs on it? Does it work?

7:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home