Friday, March 17, 2006

On the edge of a long weekend...

The scheduling gods have come together to offer us Tuesday to Saturday folks a long weekend. Next Tuesday is a National Holiday, marking Spring I believe, and so I get a 3 day weekend for my birthday... excellent! This has been a good week in most respects, I definitely feel energized with the return of the sun and am anxiously awaiting for things to come alive again.

Found out this week that the Tochigi International Center offers Japanese lessons once every week for a measly 200 Yen! That's about a buck an hour... not bad eh? I will be taking advantage of those starting in the next few weeks. From what I understand, they'll start us (Matto sensei is also considering joining) off with hiragana and katakana and work our way up from there. I think it'll be a good way to stay motivated to learn the language. When learning at home, there's no incentive to keep going. If I have a teacher and a class to go to, I certainly won't want to look stupid in front of them! I'll keep you posted on my progress.

I also found out an interesting tidbit of information this week from a student of ours. Apparently, the shrine behind my apartment which I have repeatedly names Futara-san is not Futara-san after all! It's name is Futara-yama to avoid confusion with Futara-san shrine in Nikko. Most people call it Futara-san though, and many don't know any better since the kanji (Chinese character) for yama and san are the same. Now I know!

So that's that for now, will likely do something picture worthy on Monday, keep your eyes peeled for pics.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home