Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Upping the ante

Had my second Japanese class yesterday morning, and I was quite shocked when the level of English used in class went from a little to practically none. The talking Japanese part is no problem, I can pretty much make out what is being said... the difficulties appeared when the Romaji (alphabetization of Japanese) disappeared off the board.

We've now officially moved to a Hiragana only white board, making note taking and reading significantly slower than last week. Luckily, I gave my hiragana studies one final push on Monday night and managed to get the 46 basic characters memorized, otherwise I would have been in trouble in class! So I can pretty much make everything out, since the other 60 or so characters are based on the first 46 it's relatively easy to read. I do have to finish working my way through my Hiragana book by next week though and start working on Katakana.

If anyone has some recommendations as to good reading practice somewhere on the web, I'd greatly appreciate a note.

On another note, I picked up my ticket voucher for my trip home at the end of the month. I need to be at Narita Airport for 2PM to pick up my ticket from the HIS Travel booth... much better than the 6:55AM meeting time I had to deal with when I went to China! This means I can leave some time around 11AM on Sunday, a rather leisurely departure.



Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Sophie said...

I found this sitehttp://iteslj.org/v/j/ that has vocabulary quizzes. Scroll down to find the ones that are only in kana. Other than the short readings in the text books it is hard to find reading practice that isn`t too difficult to get something out of. One option is children`s books, which will have the hiragana next to the kanji. They have a bunch at the Tochigi library (right behind Al Noor) and the library at TIC also has a lot of different language learning books.

10:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is good for folk tales or mukashi banashi all written in hirangana and some katakana.
http://homepage2.nifty.com/hanaitirin/bookshelf.htm

this is full of links
http://www.japanese.ac.nz/links.cfm?ID=4

If you want to actually see results and are serious about learning you should pay for and go to a proper Japanese lesson. If its just for fun then only the volunteer class is ok.

5:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home