Monday, June 19, 2006

New construction

Here's another intriguing and delightful custom I found out about this week. The other night when I got home, I found a towel in my mailbox. Not a large beach towel, just a small hand towel, could be used to go to an Onsen I guess. Anywho, it was wrapped in fancy paper with Kanji on it and came with a letter. After taking advantage of my lovely fiancee Yoshiko's translation skills, I learned that this gift was from Toyota Home. They are selling a number of lots next to my apartment building and construction is slated to start on Tomoko somethingorother's home this week.


How cool is that? A gift to say sorry for the noise I guess, though they won't bother me cause it's on the opposite corner of the building. Quite a nice touch though don't you think? Now if only we could get the city to give us gifts in Ottawa before they start tearing up our streets, I think it would make the whole process a lot more endurable, no?

This weekend has been pretty mellow. Watched a couple of movies, relaxed... nice weather today so I went on a bit of a bike tour to do some errands. Oh yeah! The movie thing reminds me of something I tried earlier today. I was watching a DVD of U571, and just as it got to one of the best parts of the movie (where the Americans board the German U-boat) the DVD started flicking and freezing and cutting out. Aaaaaaaarrrrrg! I remembered then that it had done that the first time I watched it too. Not wanting to miss out on 30 minutes of action for a second time, I turned in desperation to the toothpaste method of DVD repairs, which I had thought was an old wive's tale. It's not! Smeared toothpaste all over the DVD, rubbed it in, washed it off and voila! How great is that?

Next weekend will be busy. Having some folks over for a rooftop BBQ on Sunday and doing lunch at Saychon-san's temple on Monday. Bring on the great Thai food!



Labels: , , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Smee said...

OK, couple of thoughts, the best not of my own:

"One mustn't criticize other people on grounds where he himself can not stand perpendicular."
-Mark Twain

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things."
-Winston Churchill

"To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing."
-Elbert Hubbard

"Men in authority will always think that criticism of their policies is dangerous. They will always equate their policies with patriotism, and find criticism subversive."
-Henry Steele Commager

"The pen of the critic is lighter to lift than the pen of the writer, though it's cut is disproportionally the deeper of the two."
-S'mee


Construction:
Should the City of Ottawa attempt such a truly fine gesture for it's construction projects, it would shortly find itself in a class action suit. The plaintifs would claim they had no storage space left, and expect a linnen chest be part of the settlement.

DVD: Plain white toothpaste (not gel) works the best as it has very mild abraision qualities, and the least additives which can fill the remaining scratches and still prevent reading.

BBQ:

Have great fun, but just remember, the best BBQ in town pales in comparison to a fire cooked meal in the bush!

10:06 AM  
Blogger Michel Lafleur said...

Quotes: That is quite eloquent of you Sir Lewis...

Construction: You are correct, with the ammount of construction, we would be overflowing with towels pretty quickly. How about food? Maybe a nice T-bone steak?

DVD: Yup, very cool!

BBQ: Absolutely. For proof of the wonders of bushland cooking, check out our last camping trip to Basin Lake in the Gonq: http://sushiandmaplesyrup.blogspot.com/2006/05/algonquin-experience.html

8:56 PM  
Anonymous S'mee said...

Thanks!
The last one is actually mine, though I'm sure it's just my wording of something I've read or heard.

Or, it could just be the brain damage talking.

:-)

7:57 PM  
Blogger tatiana said...

Wow! People are sensitive. Try this web log on for size! Hysterical!

11:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home