Sunday, June 11, 2006

I'm back baby! I'm back! (same intonation as George from Seinfeld)

Well, looks like my worries about not being connected turned out to be baseless. This morning when I woke up, I flipped on the modem and gave it a shot, and there I was connected to the Interwebs again. How marvelous! So many things have happened in the week I've been offline! The Edmonton Oilers are down 2-1 in a best of 7 series for the Stanley Cup, Al Quaeda's head in Iraq has been killed, the Canadian Dollar has soared (not good for those of us waiting for a good time to send Yen back home) and the first named storm of the season is heading to Florida. Now that I'm caught up on news and email and the like, I can carry on with my new life from Daikan, having moved from Hanawada all of 8 days ago.

Life here is good. I am still enjoying the double-takes I get as people in the neighbourhood slowly learn that there is a new Cannuck in the neighbourhood. I have yet to meet any of my neighbours, and haven't heard much from the building other than the odd TV at night. The bird life around here is quite nice, not composed only of crows like my old place. I will be quite happy here. For the record, there has been an addition to my living room. After a year of folding up a futon to lay back and watch a movie, I've purchased a little couch. It's a welcome addition to my new living room.


The more eagle-eyed amongst you may have noticed a new Lonely Planet guidebook on my table... this one for Cambodia. I've decided to check it out for New Year's holiday. The way it looks, if I can get 2 days off from work, that gives me a 13 day stretch of holiday time to visit possibly Vietnam (with Yoshiko) and Cambodia (hopefully with Matt or another willing accomplice) before returning to work in January. Cambodia has been closed to to Western World for so long with the constant strife there these past years and is just now opening up again and embracing tourism as a crutch to help recover from decades of war. From the ruins of Angkor Wat and Ta Phrom to the horrors of the killing fields and S-21 (Cambodia's version of Auschwitz), this will be quite the trip. But anywho, that's a good 6 months away...

The view here isn't as green as my old one, but I can see some mountains in the distance. On a clear day, I may be able to see Nantai-san, though said clear day has yet to materialized with the rather rainy week we've had.


My old apartment is where you can see the cranes on the left, and work is where you can sort of see the orange and white tower on the right. It's about a 15 minute walk, of a 5 minute bike ride from here to the office, quite nice. And another good thing is that I am now conveniently located a 5 minute bike ride from Trial, THE discount food and stuff shop out here.


The rooftop terrace! Will be quite nice to sit up here and BBQ... I'll get to test it out in 2 weeks when some folks are coming over.


So that's the new place. This weekend, Yoshiko and I went to Oarai on the coast to visit a pretty nice aquarium they've got there. The definite highlight of the day was the underwater viewing of the dolphins, who were quite friendly and would come by the window to get a look at us. One thing that was nice about this aquarium is that the theater where the dolphins and such do their show has a window view of the ocean, quite a nice backdrop.


We also got a good look at some of these penguins who would also come by the window to say hello.


Unfortunately, the weather was quite overcast, but it was a great day nonetheless.

On Sunday, we had a leisurely day and spent some time at an amusement center. We played pool for a couple of hours and did a little karaoke before grabbing some Subway for lunch and picking up my couch for about 100$. The teacher who moves in here after my departure will be quite happy, that is assuming I don't choose to sell everything I've bought for the apartment... we'll see.

Not much on the plate for today, going to head to the old apartment to see if my package has arrived yet. I ordered some movies from Amazon before I knew I was moving, hope they're here now. Life at the school is settling in again, though the dynamics have changed drastically with the departure of both Yoshi and Scott last month. Our young scamp is surely missed and traditions such as the morning Tully's pit stop and the Gyoza feast just aren't occurring as often as they once did. Hope he's having a good time walking the beaches of the Gold Coast.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous S'Mee said...

Cool trips you are planning my friend! But.....you sure you don't want me to send the Marlin over??

7:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home