Monday, June 12, 2006

World Cup Fever

For the last couple of hours, I was crammed into the Lion's Head with about a thousand Japanese people and 20 foreigners watching Japan's first World Cup Game against Australia. I got an email earlier from Shige asking if I wanted to join, and I thought: "What the hell" and hopped on my bike for the ride down. Interesting thing, I ran into someone (Brandon? Branden? sorry, it was loud) who reads or has read my blog and recognized me. Quite interesting, and not the first time this happens.

Now, I've never been one much for soccer, what with hockey taking up all of my sports related energy\interest, but there's just something about being in a crowd of cheering fans that makes any game exciting. I was cheering and jeering right along with everybody, shouting out "Nippon Nippon Nippon" with the rest of them and celebrating Japan's opening (and so far the only) goal of the game. Now of course, were Canada ever to get a team up there, I may very well cheer for them; since Japan is my home now though, I figured I'd support the home team. (Matto-sensei, how's that for the use of a semi-colon?)

I am quite disappointed that I didn't bring my camera with me as the cheering crowd would have made for great video... next time! I think I may join next Sunday if Shige or others feel up to it. And this time I'll wear shorts and bear the heat for the full game, not just the first half.


Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger tatiana said...

Does every big city in the world have a "Lions Head" to hang out at!? Seems like I've been to at least 4 or 5 in different cities all over the world! :)

11:53 AM  
Anonymous S'Mee said...

You're safe should you ever visit Mitch in Ottawa Canada. We do have a Lion's Head public library, but they don't serve alcohol. :-)

I don't think they'd appreciate cheering the game there either.

7:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home