Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Tragedy in Montreal

In the last few years, I've settled on Montreal as being my favourite city in the World. It's a city with a fantastic history, great architecture, a unique bilingual character and some of the best dining and entertainment I've ever seen. I've had some great times in Montreal, on family trips or with friends... or even on business visiting the OR head office. It is simply one of the World's great cities.

Unfortunately, for the second time in 20 years, Montreal has been the scene of another mass shooting at a college which has left one person dead, up to 20 injured and one monster put down by the police. A lone gunman started shooting inside a Dawson College cafeteria before heading back outside where he was shot by police. News photos show what is now described as the "body of the shooter" lying next to a police cruiser in a pool of blood. I am getting this information in bits and pieces, and my main source of information (canoe.ca) is unfortunately down, likely due to volume. Thank god this shooting wasn't nearly as bad as the 1989 massacre of 14 women at the Ecole Polythechnique when Lepine decided he didn't like women. My heart goes out to the victims and their families.

Things are going well here in Utsunomiya, though we're now officially into our 4th day of pretty much non-stop rain. The temperature has dropped significantly, currently hovering around 15 degrees as a high for the day, which is actually a nice change for us who have to wear suits to work. Not much planned for the next little while, though we have 3 national holidays coming up in the next few weeks. I have to head in to Omiya on Tuesday for training, so no teaching for me. I think it's kind of silly for them to waste time\resources training me, knowing fully that I am leaving the company soon (5 months, 7 days)... but hey, that's their prerogative, and I guess it's worthwhile since were expected to pass the knowledge on to the staff at the school. Luckily, I will be heading down with Yasuko-sensei, so it should make the ride down enjoyable.

In other news, Matsui, one of Japan's favourite baseball players, made quite the come back last night. After being out for 4 months after breaking his wrist in a fall, he returned to the NY Yankees lineup and proceed to get 4 hits in a 12-4 Yankees win. I'm not much of a baseball fan, but it's hard not to hear about it in baseball-crazy Japan! Luckily, the NHL season will start soon and I'll get to read about something interesting...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sad day for my home city :(

8:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home