Sunday, September 10, 2006

Waning Gibbous

"..."

That is all I could type to Matt this afternoon after exiting the theater from seeing United 93. I would have to say that was the quietest theater I've ever been in. It took a full few minutes after the end of the movie for people to start moving around and shuffling out, many still in tears, and not ashamed to show them. I'm not going to say that there are "no words to describe it", since I will likely launch into a tirade shortly, but that is as fitting a statement as any. What a powerful movie. For those of you unfamiliar with this one, it's about United Airlines Flight 93, one of the 4 planes hijacked on September 11th, 2001 and the only one not to successfully reach its target. It crashed in a field in Pennsylvania after what many believe was an attempt by the passengers to retake the plane from the terrorists. The movie follows the plane\passengers\crew of United 93 from preparations to their ultimate demise. You also get a really good sense of the confused state of the flight operations and military systems on the ground as they try to wrap their heads around what is happening and attempt to mount a response.

What can I say? Go see this movie. I didn't think any movie about 9/11 could draw such emotion from me. From the very beginning, my heart was pounding in my chest and I felt extremely tense throughout the entire thing. I would even go so far as to say this is the most tense I have ever felt during a movie. Some scenes near the end, with passengers calling their families to say goodbye even managed to squeeze a few tears from me, quite the feat for any movie. It is rather fitting that we saw this movie so close to the 5th anniversary of the attacks. I intend to write a little bit on that tomorrow evening, so I'll leave my 9/11 thoughts to percolate overnight and be back at you later on that.

As I was biking home tonight, I was surprised to see the moon shining down brightly, having not seen it for most of the week due to rain. In following with my new obsession with photography, I trundled up my Canon S3 to the roof, set it on the Ultrapod II and took a few shots. Here are two different crops of the same shot, with the moon waning gibbous, 3 nights after the Full Moon.




I will depart shortly for Trial to stock up on some supplies and pick up some grilleables for tomorrow when Matto will join me for a BBQ we planned kinda last minute.

September the 11th will dawn on us within an hour here in Japan, but with the time difference, the anniversary of the time of the actual attacks will be tomorrow night. I plan to be glued to my computer, on CNN's website, which is piping out a rebroadcast of the feed it had going from 8:30 AM on 9/11/01.

Addendum: It is now 2:21AM and I have spent aproximately the last 2 hours on the roof. Why you ask? Because it's the safest place in a thunderstorm of course... duh! On my way to Trial (no more grills, NOT impressed) I noticed a storm system coming in. When I got home, I grabbed the camera and headed back up to the roof to get a few shots. A few turned into a few hundred, out of which about 30 captured lightning in some shape or form, not too shabby for a first attempt. At first, I was shooting in Black and White, without realizing... but that's ok.


Then I changed to colour and manged to actually capture a ground strike, which is pretty amazing considering the whole time I sat up there I only saw like 4 of those. Most of the show was happening from cloud to cloud. This one, judging from the mountains which frame it, is about 10-20 kilometers from me.


Also got a good shot of the sky lit up purple, quite the little system moving through ol' Utsunomiya.


Anywho, off to bed.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jessica White said...

Nice blog.

1:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home