Monday, October 23, 2006

Lazy day

Yup. Lazy Lazy Lazy day... that's the only way to describe it. Just about the only productive thing I did today was to wash the dishes and clean up my closet a bit.

Since the weather wasn't too too nice out there today, I didn't make it out of the house, but I did manage to test my new camera thoroughly and am pleased to report that I can't find any problems with it.

Took pictures of some of the Yen I had lying around. Paper money in Japan comes in 4 denominations: 1000, 2000, 5000 and 10000 Yen notes. The 2000 Yen note is quite rare, I had never seen one until my mother brought some from Canada... go figure. Here are the pictures on the 5000 and 1000 yen notes.


And some of my spare change. Coins in Japan come in 1, 5, 10, 50, 100 and 500 Yen.


I am still amazed once in a while at the amount of cash I use here. Back home, everything is done through debit cards now, and I rarely had more than 20-40$ on me at any time. Here, I whip it out of the bank in 300$ or more increments. When my mother was here, she pulled out a 10,000Yen note to pay for coffee, which is totally fine here, but when I pointed out she'd just broken the equivalent of a 100$ bill at a coffee shop, she was quite taken aback. I must admit that my change counting abilities have increased dramatically since I came here. After discovering a drawer full of spare change which the previous teacher had left here, I decided to use up everything I could, and it's worked out so far.

Anywho, enough with being (semi) productive, I think I'll start in on season 2 of Seinfeld... cheers!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home