Sunday, December 10, 2006

Back to cooking! Woohoo!

It has been a loooooong time since I took the time to prepare a proper meal. The maple pie for thanksgiving a couple weeks ago is the closest I've come... so this weekend we decided to stay in and prepare a nice meal, from appetizer straight through to dessert and wine.

This morning when I woke up, I noticed these thick house robe looking things hanging on the neighbour's balcony. When I asked Yoshiko about them, she confirmed my suspicions that they are used to stay warm while in bed. I'm sure they do, wouldn't mind getting one myself if I were staying here for a while longer.


After a quick run to Apita for supplies and Yamada-denki for a gift for my mother-in-law's birthday, we headed back home and started cooking. First on the list was a strawberry mousse, which I prepared. To do this of course, one needs to separate the egg whites from the yolks, which I did by rigging up a little thingamajiggy. Here I am rejoicing in my ingenuity.


One of Yoshiko's contributions to the meal was a cream of broccoli soup. I caught her being all like domestic and stuff... ha!


My second contribution to the meal was veggie stuffed peppers. While I looked at a bunch of recipes, I ended up going with a mix of a few of them. Since this was a side-dish/appetizer, I didn't want it to be too heavy so I made it meatless. Instead, these were stuffed with Croutons roasted in garlic, a little rice, some onion, some tomatoes, fresh basil and parsley. Quite yummy!


Here is the first course of the meal, my peppers and Yoshiko's soup... both excellent of course.


Our next course consisted of pan fried chicken and garlic-bacon roasted potatoes. Also very good.


And finally, the strawberry mousse with homemade whipped cream. Unfortunately, the recipe I followed made this way too sweet, I would cut the sugar at least by half and let the berries do the sweetening next time. Oh well, it still looked lovely.


The whole thing was topped off with a nice bottle of Bordeaux. A lovely meal with my lovely wife. Nice to spend some alone time together.


Less than 2 weeks until our departure for Cambodia and Vietnam, will have to start thinking about packing... tomorrow, we will probably make a run out to Imaichi to see Yoshiko's mother for her birthday, and may try to get the immigration paperwork finalized.

Labels: , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Jean said...

Wow Mitch… I didn’t realize that you were so well versed in the culinary field. I give a 10 for both presentation and your ability to separate the egg whites from the yolks!

9:35 AM  
Blogger Anskov said...

Well done! Looks good. At the bakery, I used to help the pastry department with large scale egg separating - I got pretty good at it after a while.

10:52 AM  
Blogger burgerlog2 said...

you have great pictures of food! love the peppers! we are in japan too!

5:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home