Sunday, January 21, 2007

Second time's a charm...

Well after last week's disappointing setback, I am pleased to report that we did make it out to Daikura today and had a fabulous day. We couldn't have asked for better weather, I was skiing without gloves for most of the day. The conditions were also pretty good, with a base of 170cm so far this year. Yoshiko was lucky enough to fit into her brother's ski gear (after some tightening of belts and buckles and straps) which saved us a good 6000 yen for the day... not bad!

It was a bit of an early start, but we made it out to the bus pickup at Daiko ok and loaded up our gear. Daikura struck me as similar to the ski hills we have around Ottawa, similar in size with 4-5 lifts and just a couple hundred meters elevation. The big difference of course is the total elevation of the mountains out here, which make the snow much more suitable for skiing than the ice pellets we get most of the year in Ottawa.

My main objective today was to get Yoshiko familiarized with skiing. She'd only been once, back in High School and didn't take lessons or anything, so we were pretty much starting from scratch. I had her use the short skis that Alex left behind, and it turns out they are great to learn with. After a few runs down the bunny hill to get the basics of stopping and turning in, we headed up the lift and hit the runs. She did great! I didn't see her fall once, since I was out scouting trails when she made her one tumble of the day. Here is my lovely wife, all outfitted for the day's skiing.


And the instructor, opting to go with a tuque and sunglasses today.


And here is the proof of how good a teacher I am, look at that turn!



At the end of the day, after Yoshiko had had enough, I ran up and did a few runs alone. On the first one down, she was waiting at the bottom and made a video. Pretty good hockey stop for the lack of a slope here if I do say so myself...


So all in all, a great start to the 2007 ski season! Tomorrow, we'll do some relaxing, and I will do some cooking for my Yo-chan's brithday, which is Tuesday.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Cla said...

So it's true: there's some kind of music EVERYWHERE in Japan!
It's sad thinking that Alps are without snow this year. Mayebe the next week, we'll see..

Nice pic and video!

12:12 PM  
Blogger Jean said...

Sooooooo jealous....

10:28 AM  
Blogger Michel Lafleur said...

Jealous? And yet we've never skied together... shame that is...

9:26 PM  
Anonymous King Arthur said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

(December 27, 2005)

check the comment out ^above^, thanks.

keep up good job, man.

12:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home